Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why I shouldn't be writing this blog, and why I am anyway


In general I am a non-political person, even apolitical. I cannot stand most political debates. Writing about politics tends to be even worse.  This is true not only of government politics, whether democrat or republican, but the politics of environment, race, class, religion, and sex, or what is nowadays called by the grammatical term, "gender."

If anything, "gender politics" is the worst of the bunch--absolutely unbearable. Whenever a feminist starts up about how we have been "socially conditioned" to believe this or that about women, or when member of the men's movement (if there can be said to be a "men's movement") says that men are "wired" to do this or that, usually in defense of despicable behavior, I stop listening. It's the same old argument.  It never leads anywhere. It's a big waste of time.

And yet I am starting a blog in defense of difference, the differences between women and men--differences  of desire, of thinking, of expectation, of ways of seeing.  I am entering the debate I loath. 

Why? Because we in the U.S. and Europe and increasingly other areas of the world are living in a culture that denies difference.  More and more, our writers, filmmakers, television and radio personalities, and just regular people are pretending that women and men feel the same about sex when we obviously don't.

That's another problem with this blog: I will often be pointing out the obvious, things that most people already know, if rarely admit.  I am afraid that the obvious will become very dull, very quickly. 

Still, I'm going to do it. I'm going to point out the many ways that women and men feel differently, post after post.  I'm going to point out again and again that the idea that we are the same is a lie. I am going to protest the lie of sameness because it is making so many people, women and men both, miserable.

I feel that I have to say these things because I hear almost no one saying them. I wish that someone else would. I'm a busy person. I have other things to be doing. I spend way too much time writing already. There is no way I will find the time or energy to say all that I have to say as clearly as it needs to be said.

If any of you out there know of anyone who is defending difference please, point him or her out to me.  I will stop posting immediately. I will become a devoted follower. I will be immensely relieved.

Until then, I'm writing in defense of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment